Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Scripts & Characters

So I've realized that in all the madness lately, I forgot to post an update on Beauty & the Beast.  I finally received my script, in addition to an e-mail that surprised me a little bit.  I've copied out some of it below so you can draw your own conclusions about the situation.




"Attached you'll find the Beauty & the Beast script.  The last time we did B&B I received crap from some females because they were not chosen to play 'Belle,' the Beauty role, I do not want to deal with that nonsense again.  I may or may not have informed you that I'm leaving it up to you as to who plays the female roles […] After the first few days of performances I'm certain you'll both know the lines for both characters and are welcome to switch roles whenever you so desire…."

Yeah.  Well, I e-mailed the other girl immediately and said that  I imagined we both wanted to play Belle (if only to be able to say to our friends and family, "Yeah, I'm playing Belle!") so I was more than happy to switch roles if she was good with it, but I also understood that it would mean extra memorization, so I was open to suggestions.  She e-mailed me back pretty quickly in total agreement.  I was really relieved because I know how things can get in situations like these, and the last thing I wanted was to start out with negative tension or resentment between me and someone that I have to travel with for over 2 months.  But I really think she and I were on the same page.  The downside of the situation is extra memorization work, but the bright side is that I'm fairly sure she and I are going to get along pretty well.  Crisis averted.

Meanwhile, I'm very excited to have my script and have really been enjoying flipping through it.  It's interactive and very comedic and I can imagine it will be a lot of fun for the kids we'll be performing for.  I'm looking forward to meeting with my cast-mates sometime in the next couple of weeks to get to know them, and I'm getting really pumped to start proper rehearsals.  I can't believe it's already mid-August.  Less than a month until we hit the road!  This is actually happening!


No comments:

Post a Comment